Course Overview and Description:
The course provides an overview of the factors which influence the operations of intelligent wells, analysis of completion design process, and a fundamental explanation of IWC performance optimization. The course will help engineers avoid improper design of an intelligent well system where any one component, or a mismatch of components, adversely affects the performance of the entire system. The course will address how to perform a system-wide analysis to accomplish desired objectives. Technical explanations of common practices are given, along with troubleshooting hints, strategies for getting the most out of intelligent well system, and a methodology for detailed field operations optimization. Technology screening issues will be outlined and informative assessments of the various approaches will be provided. The use of analysis results to assist in decision making related to performance enhancement will be illustrated through real-life case histories. The course will cover numerical and analytical techniques for analysis of intelligent wells and other advanced well completions.
The course will also provide participants with tools to identify, prioritize, and optimize intelligent wells systems, with an emphasis on focusing on things that can be changed to improve both well and field performances. Participants are encouraged to bring actual field operating information to class for discussion if available. The session will benefit participants to gain deeper knowledge on analysis and continuous optimization of existing systems.
The course will help participants maximize asset value by estimating potential gain in optimizing intelligent well performance and comparing these estimates to actual results. The course will focus on using practical approach and methods to help identify underperforming IWC assets and assess production upsides. A comprehensive review of best practicesis provided to aid in the optimization of existing or future wells.
This course also covers overview of data management related to intelligent well system and the surface data acquisition and control systems. The need to acquire, conduct efficient quality control on data and deliver them with data management system is discussed, since wise business decisions depend on sound data and information. In effect, data management is an enabler of efficient analysis and optimization of intelligent well system to create business value. Participants will leave this course with a thorough understanding of the data management issues and challenges as it relates to intelligent well operations.
Course Duration: 3 days
- IWC Design
- Design and properly select components of an intelligent well system.
- Discuss the intelligent well components that require constant attention, from both a maintenance and operational perspective
- Discuss the design, safety, and operational details that must be considered before anintelligent well is ready for operation and optimization
- Assess various wellbore designs including single and multilateral and their impact on completion design and performance
- Account for changing operating conditions in IWC design
- Evaluate the flow capacity of an intelligent well system
- Recognize harsh well producing environments leading to potential corrosion and erosion failure, scale formation, and related downhole issues for an intelligent well system
- Overview of reservoir simulation with intelligent wells
- Coupling advance completion numerical models with surface systems.
- Using intelligent wells to address reservoir/production uncertainty
- Simulating Intelligent Well Performance
- Incorporating Components Reliability Profile of advance completion in numerical simulation.
- Economic evaluation of intelligent well applications
- IWC Data Management
- Description of both subsurface and surface various hardware and communication technologies
- What is IWC data management, why it is important in intelligent well system analysis?
- Understanding data as an asset and its lifecycle, the benefits of good data management and its potential value in intelligent well system.
- Identifying and acquiring critical data, data acquisition, and analysis
- How availability of data affects decision making process.
- Common IWC data management issues and challenges, and their impact on the IWC system.
- Testing procedures
- Data collection, validation and storage
- Get It
- Manipulate it
- Use it
- Push It out
- IWC Data Visualization and Reporting
- Discuss Data Access & Validation issues and challenges
- IWC Performance Analysis
- Developing an operating philosophy for intelligent wells
- Discuss efficient monitoring of intelligent well system performance
- Discuss best practices to gain maximum control of intelligent well system
- Essential tools for analyzing intelligent well system
- How to identify and focus on critical information of intelligent well system
- Discuss the types of production problems that may be encountered in the analysis and continuous operation of an intelligent well system.
- Use the interdisciplinary synergistic approach to efficient intelligent well system analysis and management
- Discuss goal setting, planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating intelligent well system performance
- Perform analysis on a multi-well intelligent field basis without introducing common errors
- Develop and outline overall operational strategy for an intelligent well system decision process
- IWC Management and Optimization
- Discuss the basic principle of operation of intelligent well system.
- Discuss the fundamental principles and processes involve in the Control and Optimization of Intelligent Well System
- Describe the more common methods used to control intelligent well system
- Describe the tools and processes used to optimize an intelligent well system.
- Apply the principles of sound reservoir management in the analysis and optimization of intelligent well system
- Discuss the importance of timing and cost/benefit analysis in optimization of IWC system
- Discuss the aspects of Intelligent well analysis and operating plans to optimize profitability
- Discuss automatic analysis, control and optimization of intelligent well systems
- Timing of field implementation of intelligent well optimization plan
- Real time and offline management of intelligent Well system